Termite Prevention in Gold Coast
Termites are insects belonging to Order Isoptera. They are usually called as ‘white ants’; however, apart from their social habit of living in colonies, in appearance they do not resemble true ants. Termites are the “social insects” living in colonies and contains up to million individuals. There are around 360 species of Termites in Australia, however, small number of them cause economic damage to timber, crops and other cellulose-based products. Termites cause more damage to homes in Australia than floods, storms, fire and floods combined. But need not to worry because we have got you covered with expert termite prevention in Gold Coast.
Termite Control Services Gold Coast
Termites are very small in size and have soft exoskeleton and it requires professional termite inspection company to deal with them. They are found in regions of mainland Australia. They work underground and live in tunnels of mud which is mixed with their excreta and saliva, the purpose of building tunnels is exploring and finding food. Their food source is mainly cellulose which is found in trees, logs and plants. The timber used in construction is also another home for termites and therefore, timber wall and roof frames are vulnerable to termite attack. The other materials in a house which can be attacked by termites are timber decking and floor boards, timber fences, skirting boards, bathroom & kitchen cupboards, carpet strips, etc. To book your termite control services in Gold Coast, call us at 04818-73787 today.
3 CATEGORIES OF TERMITES
One of the most common yet the most destructive species, Subterranean infests timber in the property. These pests need a source of moisture to survive, thus, prefer building their nests near the soil. The pests often prefer secluded spaces or mud tubes that can contain up to 2 million members altogether. They lay about 10 eggs in a day that can grow up within 50 days. They have saw-toothed jaws that can easily bite off small fragments of wood 24 hours a day and seven days a week. These pests have the capacity of destructing collapsing the entire building structure.
These pests have three types or caste including reproductives, workers, and soldiers.
1. The Reproductives
King – the king is the smallest termite in the colony
Queen – the largest, a queen is integral for the growth of a colony.
Alates – also known as swarmers, these pests have a long and dark brown to almost black bodies with milky coloured wings. They can grow up to ¼ to ½ long.
2. The Workers: Justifying their names, these pests work to move materials. They are approximately ¼ in. or less in length with cream coloured bodies. Their small jaws help them chew away the wood to build spaces.
3. The Soldiers : Soldiers have large mandibles that differentiate them from the other termites. They have a flat and wide body with a rectangular-shaped head. They are creamy-white with a darker and brownish head.
These termites prefer to live in small colonies, nesting themselves completely inside the timber or piece of furniture. Infesting softwood and hardwood timber, these pests can feed across annual rings. They can obtain all the moisture from the wood, without needing any other source of water (no contact to the ground). These pests are usually pale brown with a yellowish-tan appearance. The wings of alates can be clear or smoky grey.
They are dependent on a high humid atmosphere to survive. They are further subdivided into three categories:
1.The Workers: The workers in this category look more or less the same as the Subterranean Termites workers
2. The Alates: the reproductive caste is also known as swarmers. They have two sets of wings that shed after swarming. The front wings have a pattern of three well-pigmented veins. They can grow up to 12 mm in length.
3. The Soldiers: they feature large mandibles with teeth. They have a pronotum wider than the team. They are generally 3/8 in. in length.
These pests stay and infest timber that is moist and thus are often found at woods or furniture with water leakage problems. They can feed on wood for years before being detected and can destruct the entire structure effectively. These pests are minor and can be avoided by fixing leakage problems in your households. These termites are larger than the subterranean termite species. These species have a large head with mandibles. They can be classified into three castes, as the other termites, swarmers, soldiers, and immature.
1.The Swarmers: these termites have wings and can grow 2up to 25 mm (including the size of their wings)
2. The Soldiers: these pests can grow up to 20 mm
3. The Immature: Similar to soldiers, these pests are 20 mm in length. These are the workers in the colonies.
POPULAR TERMITE SPECIES IN AUSTRALIA
- Coptotermes acinaciformis– these soldier termites have rectangular pear-shaped and can grow up to 7 mm long. They produce a white sticky liquid when defending the nest from any attack.
- Coptotermes frenchi– The soldiers of this species are 4-5 mm long with a pear-shaped head. They build their nest in the ground or tree trunks. They infest on the sound timbers in the building.
- Cryptotermes brevis– drywood termite specie, these pests are one of the most serious ones in the world. The soldier of these species has a wrinkled head and they can grow up to 4.2-6mm in length.
- Heterotermes ferox– one from the subterranean termites, these pests are 3.5 to 7.5 mm in length with a rectangular head and long mandibles.
- Natsutitermes fumigatus – their soldiers can grow up to 4 mm in length and have a pale orange and nasute head.
- Natsutitermes walker – the soldiers of this specie are 5-7 mm in length. They are the largest of the Nasutitermes species.
- Schedorhinotermes intermedius – these pests have two types of soldiers, the minor ones measure 3-5mm long with a narrow head. The major ones are 5-7.5mm long with a bulbous head.
WHAT DO WE DO TO ELIMINATE TERMITES?
It is certainly essential to get rid of the termites as soon as you can. If you are witnessing the signs of their existence in your residence, it is the right time to reach us. We provide premium and professional services to help you eradicate the pests from your households or business properties. We own a team of highly qualified and expert technicians who are deeply committed to deliver a surpassing performance and safeguard your buildings from the potential risks and destruction.
SIGNS OF TERMITES IN YOUR HOUSE
There are several signs that you can look out for early detection of termites in your home:
- Noises in the walls, you may hear the clicking sounds coming from the walls.
- Discarded wings, flying termites discard their wings shortly after finding a mate.
- Discoloured or drooping drywall
- Wood that sounds hollow /papery when tapped
- Water damage on a wall
- Tight fitted doors or windows that are hard to open
- Tunnels in wood
- Frass(termite droppings)- Drywood termites push their droppings outside the tunnels they create and it leaves black marks and powdery substances closer to the areas of infestation.
Termite Inspection Services Gold CoastTermites are difficult to spot and identify and they often stay in hiding. However, if you notice any of the signs in or around your home, you must make sure your house is thoroughly inspected by a professional pest manager to understand the extent of infestation. The Pest and Termite Co specialises in Pest Inspections and treating them with advanced tools and techniques. For more information, you can call us on 04818 PESTS (73787) or CLICK HERE.
The Pest and Termite Co is certainly the one-stop-solution to cater to any pests-related troubles that arises at your property. We offer our extensive services to deliver a quality user experience.