Below is a list of things you can do to prevent the cockroach infestation in your home.
BY ELIMINATING FOOD SOURCES
One of the most effective preventive measures that you can take to prevent red roach infestation in your home is by eliminating the food sources that are attracting the roaches in the first place. Below are some things that you can do to eliminate food sources effectively and excel in pest control management.
- Remove Water: It is known that roaches can go for many days, sometimes two weeks without consuming water, but in this scenario, they absorb the water that is present in the things they eat and keep their body hydrated. But eventually, they need water to survive after a week or two. You can use this against them by removing the source of water and taking care of leakage points in your house. These are generally near the sink, in washrooms, and other such places with a tap in your house.
- Removing Food Remains: One of the major sources of food for red roaches in a domestic household. You can prevent this by properly cleaning the table and washing the dishes immediately after eating. Also, ensure that the food remains are not stuck in the sink of the kitchen and the sink is properly cleaned after every wash. These food remains to serve as the treatment for not only red roaches but several other pests as well, they eat the remains and go in search of more food items, this curiosity lands them on your leftover food and becomes the reason behind food poisoning and several other dangerous diseases.
- Store Food Properly: Not just the food remains, but the scent of the food also serves to be an invitation card for red roaches. Make sure that food items, especially leftover cooked food items are not kept in the open, it is better if the leftover is sealed in an airtight container and kept away from the reach of the roaches. Airtight containers seal the smell of the food which attracts red roaches and help majorly in keeping these creepy crawlers away from your food and your kitchen.
- Empty Garbage: Garbage bins are like heaven for red roaches. These bins give roaches free access to all the leftovers and other pieces of food items that are thrown in the bin. If you have a garbage bin in your house, make sure that it is being emptied on a regular basis to ensure that there is not leftover food for red roaches to feed on. It is better to keep a large bin outside the main house and empty several smaller bins in it.
BY KEEPING YOUR HOME CLEAN
One of the most common reasons for pest problems in a home is uncleanliness. By keeping a tab on the cleanliness of your house, you can effectively reduce the risk of red roach infestation. The clean and fresh environment of your home, mainly kitchen, washrooms, and other places with moisture would surely demotivate red roaches and prevent infestation.
Keep in mind that roaches are far more active at night than they are during the day. So it is very important to clean the dining, as well as the cooking area properly after every meal. The little crumbs and food particles that we leave while eating, serve as a treat for these pests. If you are the owner of a pet, make sure that your pet’s bowl and litter are also cleaned or kept away from the reach of red roaches.
If you are the owner of a restaurant, then it becomes more important to focus on hygiene and cleanliness in order to avoid such infestations. A roach infestation can not only degrade the reputation of your restaurant but can also lead to major problems like food poisoning. In offices, it is advised to regularly declutter the area and avoid storing food in the open. By keeping in mind some of these simple things, a red roach infestation can easily be prevented. But, in case the infestation goes out of hand, it is advised to call a pest control expert as soon as possible to avoid any more damage to your house and health. The Pest and Termite Co. are dedicated to providing our clients world-class pest control services in Brisbane and Gold Coast area.
BY REGULAR DECLUTTERING
Apart from the constant supply of food and water, one more factor that makes our homes the perfect breeding ground for roaches is dark spaces behind doors and windows that are mostly ignored by us. Red roaches generally go around the house in search of food and water during the night and stay hidden during the daytime.
Red Roach excreta contains a special type of pheromone that works like a signal to other roaches that they’ve found a safe and rewarding place to hide and others join them as well. This works as the perfect communication system for roaches to boost the infestation in the house and it takes no time for the roach population to rise from 3-4 roaches to 30-40 in the house.
To prevent this, it is important to regularly remove the clutter and spray insecticides in the area where the clutter is found. By removing items such as packaging, paper, magazines, etc. you can effectively decrease the risk of a red roach infestation in your house. Pest control is not a very difficult thing to do if one is prepared to practice preventive measures from the start. The Pest and Termite Co. ensure that after every pest treatment, those who live in the house or work in the office are advised on how to minimize the risk of infestation in the future. We also offer 24×7 emergency services to ensure that the situation at your house is taken care of effectively without losing any time.
BY REGULAR MAINTENANCE
Regular maintenance and inspection of the building structure are one of the most effective measures against pest infestation. Most of the pests enter a building through cracks and leaks that go unnoticed during our regular life schedule. But these secluded places serve as the perfect hiding spots for red roaches and sometimes a major scale infestation goes unnoticed as these creatures hide during the daytime and only come out during the night to eat and roam around in the house in search of food and water.
- Pipes and Drains: As we have already mentioned, red roaches are found mainly in areas where there is enough moisture for them. The creepy crawlers are very fond of damp areas and in almost every case, a leak or moist crack in the wall serves as the birthplace of pest infestation. In order to avoid this, it is important to keep in check the condition of drains and pipes in your house. It is important to inspect these areas after some time and look for possible signs of the infestation. If there is a crack in the pipe or in the drain, make sure that it is repaired as soon as possible in order to prevent roach infestation.
- Shelves: After pipes and drains, shelves are the second-most comfortable places for red roaches to hide. It serves as the perfect hiding spot for red roaches as well as other pests. The best way to reduce pest infestation in areas is to paint or varnish the shelves in order to seal the cracks that are generally present in these areas. If you are facing constant infestation problems, then by replacing wooden shelves with plastic or wooden shelves, you can contribute greatly to pest control.
- Seal Entrances: By sealing the possible entrance of pests, you can put a full-stop to the infestation. Some places in a property serve as the perfect entry point for red roaches. These places are- Cracks in walls, Skirting Boards, Electrical Sockets, the area under kitchen sinks, bathroom cabinets, etc. By sealing these places and performing regular inspections, the risk of an infestation can be easily avoided. If you are from Brisbane and Gold Coast area and struggling with pest infestations, then The Pest and Termite Co. are there to ensure that your house remains safe and secure for your family to have a wonderful time. We also offer our services in business infrastructure to make sure that your workplace is clean and safe from these creepy crawlers.